Grows an orange fruit, with the same name. Having eaten it once, I asked myself: Does the medlar have useful properties and contraindications? And if so, which ones? And will a full-fledged tree grow from the remainder of eating the fruit of the bones?
My acquaintance with the information about the medlar
From a trip from Israel, a friend brought a very interesting orange fruit, similar to a small pear. Of course, we ate it, but the bones remained. I asked: what kind of fruit? A friend said that in Israel it is called shizik. I did not believe, because such a name can not carry a fruit, even from Israel. Armed with the wrong name, turned to information on the Internet.
And what do you think? When asked “fruit Israel” I immediately gave the internet a picture with a familiar orange fruit, although the name was not shizik, but a scheshe. And also it turned out that the fruit has one more name – a medlar Japanese. I was interested in information about this tree, which I want to share with you.
A bit about the tree itself: it is evergreen with large leaves, belongs to the family of Rosaceae. The pictures are very beautiful. Blooms white flowers, collected in the inflorescence. Fruits are also gathered in clusters.
Fetal seeds and leaves of the tree contain a small amount of cyanide glycosides. Of these, the splintering produces a terrible poison – cyanide. Fortunately, there is little cyanide there, enough only to give a bitter taste to the leaves and seeds.
The environment of the tree is extensive, cultivated in Japan, Israel, Brazil. The tree is unpretentious, it occurs as a wild-growing tree. Loves the humid climate, and therefore grows in Israel. It blooms in late autumn, fruits are usually torn off in May-June. The tree is often planted in squares and parks because of its beautiful leaves. The aroma of flowers resembles the smell of almonds.
What substances are in the fruit medlar?
The usefulness of the medlar is predetermined:
- Low calorie. Therefore, it is shown to those who wish to lose extra pounds. The fetus contains many dietary fiber.
- The leaves of the spike are rich in antioxidants, the maximum concentration of which is observed in late spring.
- Has a huge number of substances useful to our body.
The composition of fruits is similar to apples:
- Apple acid.
- Lemon acid.
- Vitamins C, E, B, K, carotene, beta-carotene.
- Microelements: calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, iodine, zinc, manganese, iron, magnesium, selenium.
The use of medlar is useful for various diseases.
- Eliminates kidney dysfunction. In its raw form has the effect of a diuretic.
- Improves vision due to the large amount of carotene and beta-carotene, which in the body turns into vitamin A.
- Strengthens the intestines and improves digestion.
- Potassium, found in fruits, stabilizes the work of the heart and blood vessels.
- Increases the body’s resistance to infections.
In addition to fruits, folk medicine uses flowers, leaves, seeds.
- The leaves contain a polysaccharide and triterpen, which help the body produce its own insulin. This property is used in diabetes mellitus.
- Decoction of leaves medlar is considered a hemostatic.
- Seeds make surrogate coffee.
- Decoction of flowers used to treat inflammatory processes in the lungs, bronchi, asthma, cough of unknown nature.
- Water infusion of leaves is drunk with diarrhea, intoxication, poisoning.
But, as always, there is a fly in the ointment. Medlar can bring not only good, but also harm.
- Recall that the composition of leaves includes cyanide glycosides. Of course, a small amount can not cause poisoning, but it is not recommended to stay in medlar for a long time. There may be severe headaches.
- When eating fruits, allergic reactions can occur, manifested as a rash on the skin. In such cases, just stop using.
- And one more nuance. The tree is loved by bats, which in Israel are many. Therefore, next to the house it is not saddened.
I want to share a recipe of alcohol tincture for the treatment of bronchial asthma, created in Japan on the basis of medicinal properties of the medlar. Recipe is simple, and the ingredients in our time to get no problem.
It is necessary to take 5 fruits of medium size and grind them together with bones. Add 2 tablespoons of honey and 100 milliliters of sake to the mixture. For reference: sake – vodka from rice, it has 28 degrees. The mixture is placed for a week in a dark place, then filter. Drink before eating 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. Tincture clears the lungs of phlegm. In a warmed-up form, it eliminates a suffocating cough, but it must be drunk slowly through a straw.
If there are delicious fruits, it means that some of them do something? In Israel, they are trained:
- Filling for pies.
- Fruit salads along with other fruits.
I hope I answered the question: what has the medlar useful properties and contraindications?
Is it possible to grow a medlar at home?
By the way, my mother planted seeds from the eaten fruit, stuck them in the ground in a flower pot. They went both! I had to transplant, left one plant, the strongest. I was very interested in how it will grow.
A pot with a medlar stands on the southern window, but a little shaded from the bright sun. I follow the humidity of the soil in person. First the medlar was behaving, surprisingly well. The leaves grew one after another, large enough and beautiful, then for some reason they began to fall off. I reviewed all the materials on the Internet, but I did not find the reason.
I will write down the essence of the problem. The green leaf begins, like the autumn leaf of our tree to wither. The disease comes from the upper tip, gradually grabbing the entire leaf. It becomes brownish in color, curls and falls off. If someone knows how to deal with this, I want to help.
If you or your friends have encountered such a problem, leave a comment with a possible solution.