What should I do if my calf muscle contracted? And is it dangerous?
Hello, my dear readers! My today’s article will be devoted to the analysis of the situation in which almost every person was involved – the calf muscle was brought down. What to do in this case, how dangerous it is for human health and the basic preventive measures for such cases, the answers to these questions you will find in this article.
It is difficult to meet a man who has not faced the problem of calf muscle cramps at least once in his life. In addition to a sense of discomfort, the cramp also brings a rather painful sensation. So what does this painful process that is happening in our legs look like.
Cramp of gastrocnemius muscle is a kind of spasm caused by involuntary contraction of muscle tissue. If we speak in an accessible language, it looks like this: the muscle is sharply reduced, and it is impossible to return to the relaxed state on its own. The main problem is the sudden onset of seizures, accompanied by a feeling of discomfort and pain in any leg.
Causes of seizures
Often the prevailing view that leg cramps can be earned by bathing in cold water or exhausted by torturing oneself on athletic fields is not entirely true. Yes, these factors are among the most common causes of seizures, but in addition there are a number of other points that should be noted:
- Overcooling – here the risk factor is not only cold water, but also trivially insufficiently warm shoes
- Incorrectly selected shoes – at this point you should pay attention to the shoes that you use in everyday life
- Flat feet – deformation of the main arch of the foot leads to an incorrect redistribution of the load on the leg muscles
- A big load on the muscles of the legs during the working day – this is usually typical for people who have a specific job related to constant standing on their feet
- Shortage of necessary microelements
- Stressful state – often causes muscle tension, leading to convulsions
- Pregnancy is a purely female “problem”, accompanied by an increased burden on the legs
All of the above factors (leaving pregnancy behind brackets) are easily eliminated. It is worth noting that when selecting the necessary trace elements, you should not self-medicate, but it is necessary to consult a qualified specialist who can choose the necessary complex taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism.
If convulsions occur in a single quantity, then this problem can be managed independently. Much more difficult is the situation in which cramps in calves of legs are of a regular nature. Usually, this indicates the following:
- Problems with leg veins (varicose extension of the legs)
- Inflammatory processes in the body
- The received traumas, up to the end not finished
- Problems in the work of the thyroid gland
- Complex of neurological diseases
In case you have found problems of this nature, you should consult a doctor-therapist, who will prescribe a set of necessary tests to find out the causes of the disease.
Variants of emergency (momentary) help with leg cramps
The main advice in this situation is quite trivial – try to relax as much as possible. If this did not work, then a number of steps should be taken to help you relieve the painful muscle tension:
- Straighten your legs, raise your knucked-up leg, pulling the stop on yourself as far as possible.
- Thoroughly massage the muscles of the lower leg, paying special attention to the most painful part of the body. During massage, the movement should be done from the bottom up, from the heel to the knee.
- Raise your legs, place a roller under them, or a pillow. Keep your feet in this condition for a few minutes.
- One of the most radical methods is injection into the cramp muscle with a pin or needle. The main thing is not to overdo it.
After you have coped with cramps, you should make a warming compress for your feet or take a warm bath.
The main thing that should be paid attention is the proper selection of shoes. Your shoes should not be too tight, for the winter season, a warm enough version of shoes should be chosen. Regular hypothermia of the feet is the first step to the appearance of seizures.
The next point to look out for is the time spent on your feet during the day. If the specificity of your work is in long standing on your feet, try to cut out during the day time for a small massage.
Take a few minutes of attention during the day with your legs, feet, feet, and the problem of cramps will disappear from your life. At the end of the work day, make contrast baths for the feet. Please note that this option is suitable only for people who have no problems with blood vessels. In the water you can add mint or valerian.
Perform a simple set of exercises to strengthen the ligaments:
- Pins of the feet on yourself, hold for 10 seconds in this position, then straighten.
- Do this exercise several times
- Rise as high as possible on your toes, and then drop sharply. Perform for 45-60 seconds
- Light, jumping movements on socks
Also, you should pay special attention to your diet. The occurrence of seizures usually leads to a deficiency in the body of trace elements such as magnesium, potassium, calcium.
Milk, cottage cheese, legumes – perfect for replenishment of calcium deficiency. Walnuts will help solve the problem of magnesium deficiency. Well, to replenish the reserves of potassium in the body, fruits and vegetables available to all are perfectly suitable.
For athletes and people actively involved in sports and physical culture, you should pay attention to maintaining the necessary water balance in the body. Avoid possible dehydration in the body, while training and playing sports drink the required amount of water.
Fulfillment of the above tips will allow you to avoid painful sensations and various kinds of inconveniences, connected with the situation when you have a gastrocnemius muscle. What do you know in this situation?
On this I say goodbye to you. I hope that the information obtained from this article will be useful to you. Subscribe to blog updates, share links to this and other articles with your friends. Waiting for your comments. See you soon!